If you have a question or problem please have a look at the frequently asked questions below. If you still need help please feel free to contact me.
Transferring to davehigham.com
How to transfer a (.com, .net, .org) domain name to davehigham.com
- First of all you will need to contact your current domain registrar to unlock your domain and request an auth code (sometimes known as the EPP) which you will also need to authorise the domain transfer.
- Once the domain is unlocked please go to the page Transfer a domain and complete the checkout.
- Once your order has been made the transfer request will start. You should then receive an email from your current domain registrar within a few days to confirm your transfer. This email contains the necessary instructions to authorise the transfer and will ask you for the auth code which you requested in the step above.
How to transfer a (.co.uk) domain name to davehigham.com
- First of all you will need to log into your current domain registrar’s control panel and change the IPS TAG of your .co.uk domain to say EXTEND. If you require any assistance with doing this, you’ll have to contact your current domain registrar.
- Once the IPS TAG has been changed please go to the page Transfer a domain and complete the checkout.
- Once your order has been made the transfer request will start. The transfer should take no more than a few days to complete.
How long will it take to transfer?
Domain transfers take a maximum of seven days to complete from point of authorisation.
Can I just use davehigham.com for hosting and keep my domain with another provider?
- Yes of course. You can use davehigham.com to just host your website, emails and database. Just sign up for web hosting filling in your domain name you have registered.
- You will then need to change what is called the “Nameserver” for your domain. This will route your domain to your hosting package on davehigham.com. These setting can be found within the options for your managing your domain with the company your registered your domain with.
- You will need to change the “Nameserver” for you domain to ns.mainnameserver.com and ns2.mainnameserver.com.
Managing your hosting, emails, FTP and database
Where do I go to set up my website, emails, ftp and databases?
All of these can be managed by either going to Your Hosting Control Panel or by going to http://cpanel.???.com/ replacing ??? with your domain. Once logged in you will see a control panel allowing you to manage your hosting.
How can I use FTP to transfer files to my website? I can’t get it working.
- First of all log into your Control Panel at Your Hosting Control Panel.
- FTP first needs to be unlocked to be able to connect to your server. So look for the box titled “Unlock FTP” on the right-hand side of the control panel.
- Within this panel choose how long you would like the FTP to be unlocked for and press “Unlock”.
- If you do not have a FTP client you will need to download one such as FileZilla.
- The settings you will need to set up the FTP connection are shown in the box on the control panel titled “FTP Details”.
Can I delete the cgi-bin and public_html folders on my website server? Where do I place the files for my website on the server?
The files that are in the root of the server need to stay as they are as they are needed by the server i.e. the folders: cgi-bin, public_html and the .bash files. You can put any folders/files in the root of the server if these need to be secure and not available publicly.
Any thing you place in the public_html folder will be available publicly on your website. So for example the simple index.html within the public_html folder will be replaced with your own index.html.
How can I install WordPress quickly on my website?
If you would like to install WordPress on your website using our one-click install; you can go to your Control Panel at Your Hosting Control Panel log in and scroll down to the section CGI Scripts and click on the WordPress Blog icon. Next click on the “Install Now” button and WordPress will be install along with the database with WordPress will use. Next go to your website address and follow the WordPress setup installation process.
Setting up an email address
- First of all log into your control panel by either going to Your Hosting Control Panel or by going to http://cpanel.???.com/ replacing ??? with your domain.
- Next click on “Mail Boxes” within the “Email” panel.
- In the text box within the “Add a New Mail Box” section enter the email address name you would like to create.
- Press “Add” to create this. This mailbox account is now set up.
- The password for this mailbox can be set or shown by clicking in the “Password” text box under the section “Modify Mail Boxes”. If you decide to change the password you will need to press the “Modify” button to make the changes.
- To view your emails you can either log into webmail using your internet browser by going to Your Webmail or by going to http://webmail.???.com/ replacing ??? with your domain.
To set-up your email program (such as Mail, Outlook or a smart phone or tablet) to receive and send your emails. The basic settings you need are:
- Email Address: Your email address.
- Account Type: IMAP (recommended)
- Incoming mail server: mail. followed by your domain name. E.g. mail.YOURDOMAIN.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): mail. followed by your domain name. E.g. mail.YOURDOMAIN.com
- Make sure “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” is set to yes (selected).